Ridgefield is known as an affluent town, but many residents face hardship. The Ridgefield Department of Social Services, under Director Tony Phillips, LCSW, works year round to alleviate want and suffering among Ridgefield residents. Economic hardship is never easy, but may be more keenly felt during the holidays. Help make the holidays, and the whole year, a bit brighter for our most vulnerable residents, by supporting programs operated by the department:
- Ridgefield Emergency Fund is supported entirely by donations. Funds are used to purchase food certificates, home heating fuel, electricity, clothing, and other basic needs for financially distressed local residents. Tax-deductible contributions are always both much needed and much appreciated. Click here to contribute online, or mail your check payable to Emergency Fund to Department of Social Services, 400 Main Street, Ridgefield, CT 06877.
- Ridgefield Food Pantry, located at Ridgefield Town Hall, 2nd floor, is open to all local residents in need. Hours are Monday through Friday 8:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. and 2:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. Donations of non-perishable food as well as personal care and household products are always appreciated, and may be brought to the Social Services Deaprtment in Town Hall or to the Yanity Gym storage area; please call in advance for larger donations. Top 10 Food Pantry needs:
- Canned Fruit
- Canned tuna, chicken, salmon, ham, sardines
- Tomato Sauce or pasta sauce
- Snacks (for kids lunches)
- Toilet paper
- Cleaning Products
- Toothbrushes/Tooth paste
Also considering supporting:
- Evelyn C. Peeler Children’s Holiday Gift Fund. The goal of the Evelyn C. Peeler Children’s Holiday Gift Fund is to make sure that needy Ridgefield children have gifts to open during the holiday season and a holiday meal at the table. Each year the all-volunteer organization, operating under the auspices of the Ridgefield Clergy Association, purchases gifts of new clothing and food certificates for families in town during the holiday season. The fund also offers a Back-To-School program in the summer. Monetary contributions are greatly appreciated and may be sent to: The Evelyn C. Peeler Children’s Holiday Gift Fund, c/o UPS Store PMB#218, 54 Danbury Rd. Ridgefield, CT 06877.
- Toys for Tots: The mission of the U. S. Marine Corps Reserve Toys for Tots Program is to collect new, unwrapped toys during October, November and December each year, and distribute those toys as Christmas gifts to less fortunate children in the community in which the campaign is conducted. See Ridgefield Toys for Tots website to learn more and donate online.